When I told people about my big move to Vietnam, I got all kinds of tips for my new adventure. One thing that I was told over and over again was how amazing the food would be. After being here for about six weeks finding my way through the city, I can say they were right. In my first few weeks in Hanoi, I dove right in to the street food scene--no fear. I thought it best to get myself acclimated to the food, and by that I mean just go ahead and get sick and have it over and done with. To my surprise, I didn't get sick, at least not at first. A couple of weeks in, I think my body was overloaded with street food and it started to protest. I haven't tried anything too outlandish yet. Goat udder may be the closest I've come to exotic, but my time here has just begun. Some of my favorite places to eat in Hanoi are at the kid size tables on the street.
The most famous dish in Hanoi is pho with bun cha coming in a close second. I've actually only had pho once, but bun cha is definitely a favorite. Little juicy morsels of meat swimming in broth with garlic, chilies, sliced carrots, greens, herbs, and noodles. Definitely a must eat while you're in Hanoi. One of my other favorite places to eat is on Ma May Street in the Old Quarter. You sit at the usual kid tables, but this one has a burner on it where you cook your own food. You order different kinds meats (this is where I had goat udder) and get the standard veggies of onions, eggplant, and tomatoes. They light your burner and you get to work on what ends up being an amazing meal that you feel like you made yourself. Unfortunately, these places are only open after dark because I tried to satisfy my craving today and the streetside delight was nowhere to be found. Check out the pictures below for some of the delectable treats found in Hanoi. Oh, and notice the prison-esque trays from the cafeteria in my office building. I guess it makes sense since we're located beside the infamous Hanoi Hilton.
 |
| Meat patties, chicken, rice, and veggies. |
 |
| Cooking our own beef and veggies! |
 |
| Different meat patty, chicken, rice, and veggies. |
 |
| Pork, morning glory, beef, rice, and soup. |
The food looks great! You can eat at your own little Melting Pot restaurant every day! I can't wait to try this out...but, I'll probably choose something other than goat udder as my meat!
ReplyDelete