It is that time of year again—the time when everyone reflects on the last 12 months and thinks about their goals and plans for the upcoming year. I have a love-hate relationship with resolutions, as I’m sure many people do. The approaching new year gives you feelings of hope and ambition, so we make the usual resolutions to solidify those hopes for the coming year. But how many people actually follow through on their resolutions? How many years pass by with unfulfilled resolutions? I know I’ve had quite a few, probably most actually. But each year, I keep coming back for more. I’ve been reading a few blogs and articles lately about bucket lists. A bucket list is a list of things you’d like to accomplish in your lifetime. A new trend in the bucket list world is creating a reverse bucket list. Some people see this as a list of things you never want to do or do again while others see it as a list of things you’ve already done that you’re proud to have accomplished. I love the idea of the latter. With 2011 coming to a close, I’ve decided to work on my reverse bucket list. Here are just 5 things I’m proud to have accomplished in my first 30 years.
- Ran 2 half marathons on 2 continents.
- Applied and got accepted to graduate school in New Jersey.
- Followed my dream to move abroad.
- Let go of the fear of looking stupid in front of strangers and joined a kickball league.
- Took a solo vacation.
What are your reverse bucket list accomplishments? Add them to the comments section if you’d like!
Although I’m embracing this new idea of reflection instead of planning, I’m not giving up on resolutions. This year I’ve decided to make one resolution—be accountable. Show up if I say I’ll be somewhere. If I tell my boss I’ll have a document done by Tuesday, have it done by Tuesday. Be on time when I tell someone I’ll meet them at 6:00 pm, or even be early. And per the usual resolutions, when I say I’ll go to the gym, get my butt there! I think accountability is one of the hardest things for many people to accomplish. I’m sure it will be a hard task for me, but it is important for people to know they can count on me and what I say. I’m sure we could all use a little help in the accountability department!
If resolutions are a part of your annual tradition, good luck making plans for the coming year. I wish you all a wonderful and prosperous New Year filled with joy! And thank you for reading my blog this year! I hope you will continue in 2012.
Chúc mừng năm mới! (Happy New Year in Vietnamese.)
Happy New Year to you, Molly! May good health, peace, love, and happiness be yours in 2012!
ReplyDeleteYou know, we're getting to be more alike as the years go by! I've actually been working on my bucket list! With my upcoming big 60th birthday, I've decided that since I'm not getting any younger, I might better start doing some of those things that I keep putting off until "next year"! The list-making has been a little hard for me...trying to decide what I really want to do with the rest of my life. My life is really good. I've been very blessed. I have a wonderful family, good friends, good health, and while not a lot of money, it's enough that I don't have to worry...if I want to buy a flat of flowers, I can! So, I've sometimes felt a little guilty when making my list...wanting more when I already have so much. But, I am thinking and making a list!
Accountability is a great resolution, but this year I'm going for fun! Check out my FB page to hear about my resolution for 2012!
Now, to your reverse bucket list idea...I would have to say that one of my biggest accomplishments was taking the leap and visiting you in Vietnam! I had a wonderful time and even got to celebrate my 59th birthday while there! I'm proud of myself for getting that passport, all of those shots, and hopping on a plane for what seemed like forever!
And, your blog is wonderful! I will continue to read it in 2012!
Looks like our reverse bucket lists are quite similar...
ReplyDelete1. Completed a marathon.
2. Moved away from home - to Seattle and then to Vietnam.
3. Removed the shackles of my golden handcuffs and attended b-school to make a drastic career change, then following through by pursuing meaningful work afterward that I am proud of.
4. Lived and breathed the motherland - For all the complaining I did, I definitely valued my time abroad getting to know my roots.
5. Not settling on "good enough" personally and professionally.
Great reverse bucket lists ladies!
ReplyDeleteMama, the Vietnam trip was definitely a great accomplishment! One that everyone can appreciate since they don't know you like I do. :-) I'm super proud of you and of course really glad you came to visit me!
Debbie, it must be that great minds think alike thing. :-) It looks like a great list that I'm sure is only the beginning of bigger and better things to come for you!
Okay, I'll chime in. :)
ReplyDeleteMy reverse bucket list is...
1) Making a leap (way out of my comfort zone) into the world of sales. Working as a dietitian in sales is really different from being a clinical dietitian or a food service manager! I was scared I wouldn't be good at it, but it turns out that I'm doing really well so far!
2) Traveling abroad with my mother. You have no idea what it took to get that woman through security at the Atlanta airport! :) hee hee
3) Making my daily life revolve around two people - my husband and myself. Choosing a life partner is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make. Compromise is my new middle name. :)
My resolution is to become conversational in Serbian. Wish me luck!
Laku noc. Vidimo se. (Good night. See you soon.)
Great list, Abbie! I can't wait to hear how your resolution goes. I'm not planning on being conversational, but I'd love to be able to speak a little more than I do now, which of course is only like 10 words. :-)
Delete