Sunday, February 12, 2012

Extreme Sport #2: Cycling

I can't believe my last extreme sport post was more than a year ago. I just knew I'd be scaling mountains, diving through brilliant seas, and in general putting my added insurance sports coverage to good use. Although my first extreme sport, motorbiking, is now an every day adventure, I just recently embarked on a new extreme sport. Most people wouldn't consider riding a bike an extreme sport. I'm not flying through forests and mountainous trails at break-neck speeds or being thrown into barbwire fences like that guy from the Tour de France last year. I'm pedaling around Tay Ho district, not even venturing toward the crazy streets of downtown Hanoi. Nevertheless, riding a bike anywhere in Hanoi takes courage in my opinion. In a society where bicycles used to be the primary mode of transportation just about 30 years ago, they are now overwhelmed by motorbikes, buses, and cars. Bicycles are still popular with students and women, particularly women selling goods from baskets on the back of their bicycles. Just like motorbikes, it is amazing what Vietnamese people can carry/fit on a simple bicycle--even multiple people!

Now me, I'm not carrying passengers or fruit for sale. I do have a little basket that allows me to carry a few groceries now and then. My maiden voyage was at 9:30 pm on a busy Sunday night in my neighborhood. I usually don't like walking on the busy main road through Tay Ho, so I was a little more than apprehensive about biking home among the pedestrians, cars, and motorbikes. With my heart about to hammer out of my chest, I merged onto the main road while motorbikes swerved around me and cars honked to get me to move faster. Every time a car or motorbike would honk to let me know they were approaching, I'd flinch. A few flew by me so fast that I felt my bike shake and once I was pushed so far to the side of the road, I almost fell off the road. Despite the obstacles, I made it home safe and sound and no worse for wear. Each time I take the bike out, I face a new challenge or have a new experience that builds my riding confidence. Before my time in Vietnam is up, I may just ride my trusty little Vietnamese bicycle all the way downtown! Just maybe. :-)

Here's a picture of my truly Vietnamese bike with a little basket. I feel so local!

1 comment:

  1. Cute little bike...reminds me of my bike back in the day! I can't imagine riding a bike with all of the traffic swirling around me! I would have been off the road for sure! And, I know I'd never be able to ride fast enough to suit them! Be careful!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete