At first, the ride was scary, as I didn't put my feet on the passenger foot pedals before we took off, so my legs were just dangling by the bike, inches from the pavement, curbs, and other vehicles quickly passing us by. When we finally stopped at our first stop light, which were few and far between, I was able to position my feet and feel a little more stable on the back. Then, things really picked up. My driver started weaving around the mass of cars, pedestrians, bicycles, and motorbikes that jammed the roadways in Hanoi. You want to make a left hand turn here? Just lay on your horn as you cut across the cars, pedestrians, bicycles, and other motorbikes that aren't stopping, but instead trying to weave around you as you cut across them. After several turns like that one, I thought I could handle it all, but then we turned on the main highway. After speeding down the highway at what felt like break-neck speed at times, we turned onto a quiet little street with no traffic--ah, home.
As I dismounted from the bike, trying not to flash everyone as I threw my right leg over the bike, I gave the driver back his helmet and thanked him for the fun ride. He smiled and said, "not bad." "No, but I don't think I'll be driving one of these for a while," I said.
sounds wonderful and scary all at the same time!! Sounds like you are going to have a very adventurous year! I'm excited to follow your blog and hear all about your adventures!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Hey, Molly! So glad to see you are in Hanoi and having fun. I know you are still trying to find your way around, and I wish you the best of luck! Be safe and I look forward to staying updated on this journey! Take care!!!
ReplyDelete