| New friends at Hookah bar |
A collection of my thoughts, ideas, and experiences from relocating from the southeastern United States to Southeast Asia. Hear about my trials, tribulations, and amazing adventures while living in Vietnam!
Saturday, September 11, 2010
My New Friday Night Ritual
After only one week in Hanoi, I have found what will be my first weekly ritual--2.5-hour wine tastings at Vine Cellar Door in Tay Ho (just down my new street!) every Friday. For the unbelievable price of 150,000 VND (about $7.50), you get 8 drink tickets and a coupon for 150,000 VND toward any purchase in the store. Last night was South African wine night featuring wines from Stellenbosch, South Africa, near Cape Town. After 8 healthy pours, my roommate, D, and I headed to a Hookah bar down the street with some new friends we made at the wine tasting. It was my first time doing Hookah--yes, I know I am seriously behind the times here, but I'm catching up. I highly recommend the apple flavor.
After leaving the Hookah bar, D and I caught up with two of her friends to check out the Vietnamese club scene. That is where the party's at! Girls decked out in 4-inch heels and wrapped in outfits that are so tight they don't move when you dance; a DJ spinning in front of a massive screen that flashes light all around the room at super high speeds; and police officers in bullet-proof vests intermingling with the crowd (one of the officers told us the vests are not for protection from bullets, but knives, which are more common here). I would have loved to supply you with a picture of this awesome scene, but alas, the cop wouldn't let me take a picture. After all the overstimulation, we hopped in a taxi and called it a night. Waking up this morning, I have to rate my first night out in Hanoi at least an 8 out of 10. Can't wait to see what tonight brings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leave it to you to find the nightlife right away! What in the world is Hookah? I guess I'll have to look that up because you know I'm way behind the times! The club scene sounds wild. How do you dance in 4 inch heels...I can't even walk in 4 inch heels! Glad to know you're making friends...I never doubted you'd have trouble in that department!
ReplyDeleteMolly--I had to look up Hookah also and was so glad to find there are no hard drugs involved!! This doesn't sound like something a good Southern girls does-are you sure it's sanitary?? Anyway, hope you continue to have a grand global experience.
ReplyDeleteI'm so challenged--I cannot get my comments to post!! I'm trying ONE MORE TIME. Molly, stay away from weird stuff that true Southern girls would not touch; that might include Hookah. I only know about one kind of "hookah" around here and I do not want you involved!! Enjoy this experience every day; keep a journal--you will enjoy re-reading it for a lifetime.
ReplyDelete