Last week I traveled to Nha Trang, a beachside city in south-central Vietnam, for meetings with a government partner. The beauty of having a partner in Nha Trang is that you get to spend a little time walking on the beach, if you're lucky to get out of meetings on time, and you eat the most fabulous, fresh seafood there is. I visited Nha Trang almost a year ago with another work project and I had great food then, but this time, our partner took us out for a seafood feast. I ate new kinds of creatures from the sea that I have never had. I took a couple of pictures of the food that I thought I'd share with y'all. They never do the actual images justice. My colleague from the US and I were in awe when they brought out two trays filled with the most beautiful shells (one of my colleagues took some shells home with her), with a huge conch shell in the middle. At first, I thought it was a display. Then, I realized that we were supposed to eat them! I'm not a huge fan of raw oysters because of the slimy texture, and these were quite similar. But in Vietnam, all seafood tastes fantastic when you dip it in this amazing mixture of salt, chili, and lime juice. So simple, yet so tasty! I'm ready for my upcoming beach vacation to Phu Quoc, just to have some more of the great, fresh seafood that Vietnam has to offer.
 |
| Beach and mountain view in Nha Trang. |
 |
Shells, shells, and more shells! The other stuff mixed
in is lemongrass. You can chew on it, but it is pretty spicy. |
 |
This is a special kind of lobster in Nha Trang.
I could have eaten 20 of these! |
The beach view is beautiful. It looks so pristine! And, the food...delicious-looking! It does make a pretty display!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I bought a small lemongrass transplant last year. I over-wintered it on the porch and then put it out this year. You should see it! It is huge! I have a recipe for lemongrass soup, but haven't tried it yet...the weather is too hot! Do they use lemongrass a lot in Vietnam?
Enjoy Phu Quoc!
Lemongrass is hugely popular in Vietnam! There is this lemongrass and chili chicken that we order from the street food place near work. It is fabulous! You should try cooking something like that since it is still too hot for soup.
ReplyDeleteThat food looks yummy! I need to get over my issue with lobster... I once read that lobsters are related to roaches, and you know how I feel about those!
ReplyDelete