I had never traveled with K, but we both seem to be pretty laid back travelers who are up for just about anything. Since K's been living in Vientiane for the past 7 weeks, she knew a little Lao and could direct the motorbike taxis (called tuk tuks), order food, and make some basic conversation, which ended up being a lifesaver when we found ourselves looking for a ride back to the hotel when the birds were starting to chirp. Apparently, it wouldn't be a true Laos trip without one all nighter.
Laos is an amazing country and Luang Prabang is such a peaceful and gorgeous place. This is the place for outdoor sports, which is why it is crawling with backpackers, which also adds to the appealing scenary. :-) The night I arrived, K met me at the check-in desk of the hotel and said we had to leave right then if we wanted to make it downtown for the boat race festivities. Thursday was the Laos Boat Race Festival, which is one of the bigger celebrations in Laos. They float these amazing lanterns in the sky that make you feel like you're in a Harry Potter movie, during the happy parts of course. You also release miniature flower arrangements into the river and make a wish. It is supposed to signify love. Thankfully, my arrangement survived. Unfortunately for K, hers fell over. The next morning, K and I hiked to Kuang Si Falls and swam in the super cold water. We were the only ones to brave the cold and the little fish that kept nipping at our feet. We spent all day on Saturday visiting the Elephant Village Sanctuary where we got to ride our very own elephant and feed him. Then, we trekked for 2.5 hours to the Tad Sae Waterfalls and swam in the fish-free yet still freezing water. After a quick cat nap back at the hotel, we geared up for a must-do in Luang Prabang--Utopia Restaurant and Bar. They bill themselves as one of the most unique bars and restaurants in Southeast Asia and after my first visit, I totally agree. They have games to play at your table, like checkers; games to play away from your table, like beach volleyball; and a garden with unexploaded ordinances that they hope will help educate people about Laos history and continued problem with unexploaded bombs. Did you know Laos was the most bombed country in the world? I didn't until I went to Utopia.
Despite their strained past and struggle to overcome so much destruction, they are still a happy and welcoming people. I recommend a trip if you are looking for your next vacation. Khawp Jai Deuh Luang Prabang and K for sharing such a fabulous journey with me!!
I hope you enjoy some of my pictures from the trip!
| You probably can't read it, but the sign says "Do not swim, if you can't swim." :-) |
| Me at Kuang Si Falls. |
![]() |
| Beer Lao--the drink of choice. |
| Riding an elephant! If you didn't sit far enough up, his shoulder blades would rock you side to side. Very unnerving when you're so high up! |
![]() |
| Our elephant Bonsue--most likely not spelled correctly. |
![]() |
| Tad Sae Waterfalls |
| Even the monks were enjoying the waterfalls! |



Glad you had such a good time! The pictures are great, as usual. I liked how you hyper-linked the attractions so I could find out a little more about them...especially the elephant sanctuary. I'm impressed that you rode that elephant!
ReplyDeleteYou are just living such an exciting life! So many stories to tell! But, you always had stories to tell...even when you lived in little B-L. ;)
Love you! See you soon!
I'm jealous that you got to ride an elephant! How fun!
ReplyDelete